We’re not saying you can’t keep them, but watch tiny (and/or furry) house dwellers closely. They might get sick or worse from eating these leaves and flowers.
Don’t let the pretty colors fool you. These bell-shaped blooms and their berries entice kids, but contain a compound used for treating heart failure. Eating them is like “taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine,” according to Poison Control.
The garden vegetable’s stems make for delicious pies, but don’t try using leaves. Eating too much will shut down the kidneys, occasionally proving fatal.
Thankfully this climbing vine rarely harms humans, but the seed pods are toxic to dogs, cats and horses. Head to the vet if you develop symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea.
Also known as dumb cane and elephant ear, this popular houseplant can become deadly if ingested, causing the airways to swell shut. Even brushing against it can cause burning or itching.
While they’re most popular around Easter, lilies in the Hemerocallisgenus endanger cats even after spring. That includes common tiger and daylily varieties. Eating just a small amount can lead to acute kidney failure or death.
The bulbs are the most poisonous part of these so-called friendly flowers, so you might think twice about planting them if you have a dog who likes to dig. Ingesting too much could cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and cardiac arrhythmia.
These popular blossoms contain a toxin that’s no joke: cyanide. But don’t uproot your plant just yet. Pets and humans need to ingest quite a bit of these flowers for the effects to be fatal.
Read more at: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/advice/g1174/deadly-poisonous-plants/?slide=7